There are so many accessories that a cloth diapering mama could find handy, but wool dryer balls are not an accessory many beginning cloth diaperers know about. What exactly are they?
Wool dryer balls are natural wool balls that replace chemical filled dryer sheets in your dryer! If you choose to use pocket diapers to cloth diaper your kiddos, using dryer sheets in your dryer can ruin your cloth diapers. Even if you don’t use the dryer sheets WITH your cloth diapers the sheets can create a film in the dryer that rubs off on the diapers, causing leaks and headaches for you! No bueno.
“But dryer sheets make my clothes SOFT and make them smell so GOOOOD!” Yeah, but those scents are not natural scents and are created by chemical combinations. Very DANGEROUS chemical combinations. The following information came from Good Girl Gone Green:
According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and industry-generated Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) from the 1990s, the following is a list of chemicals in fabric softener products, most in untested combinations. Liquid fabric softeners additionally may contain formaldehyde.
- Benzyl acetate: Linked to pancreatic cancer.
- Benzyl Alcohol: Upper respiratory tract irritant.
- Ethanol: On the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list and can cause central nervous system disorders.
- Limonene: Suspected Gastrointestinal or Liver Toxicant, Immunotoxicant, Kidney Toxicant, Neurotoxicant, Respiratory Toxicant, and Skin or Sense Organ Toxicant.
- A-Terpineol: Can cause respiratory problems, including fatal edema, and central nervous system damage.
- Ethyl Acetate: A narcotic on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list.
- Camphor: Causes central nervous system disorders.
- Chloroform: Neurotoxic, anesthetic and carcinogenic.
- Linalool: A narcotic that causes central nervous system disorders.
- Pentane: A chemical known to be harmful if inhaled.
Yuck! And all of this can be avoided by using wool dryer balls instead of dryer sheets! The dryer balls work to knock wrinkles out of your clothes making them soft and reducing static. Dryer balls also speed drying time, saving you moolah in the end! Also…they’re ALL NATURAL. No toxic chemicals to worry about, nothing yucky sitting on your baby’s skin, and no ruined diapers. It’s a win all around!
One wool dryer ball company that I looove is Woolzies! Woolzies dryer balls are all natural and made of 100% pure wool. They’re hypoallergenic and even safe for people with wool allergies because they DON’T shed onto your laundry. These specific dryer balls claim to speed drying time at least 25%…that is some serious money saved on drying! Woolzies sent me a box of dryer balls to try out and I have to say that I love them! Nevermind the peace of mind that using an all-natural laundry softener gives me, but they also sped up my drying time. I usually always have to set my dryer to the maximum time setting to get everything dry. Using these dryer balls I was able to set my dryer to the “energy efficient” setting and everything was dry at the end of the cycle! I highly recommend these to other mommas…even if you don’t cloth diaper you can benefit from them!
I’m giving away an entire box of Woolzies (6 dryer balls)! That’s a $34.95 value! Yall need to JUMP on this..you won’t regret it! You can enter through the Rafflecopter form HERE: